Monday, July 15, 2013

Mark This Book Monday: ACID by Emma Pass!!

And would you believe it? My motivation must have stopped trying to run to the hills cause here I am with the final Mark This Book Monday for this week!

This book I discovered via Twitter and the recommendations of some of the authors I follow in there, so thank you Twitter!


ACID by Emma Pass




Writing a review for ACID is gonna be a bit tough, not because I don't think it is a brilliant book, that it is, but because I think this is one of those reviews that must be absolutely spoiler free, and that's gonna be hard to pull off!

ACID is a purely dystopian tale, with a touch of science fiction due to the future time setting, but it doesn't have the usual post-apocalyptic undertones of other dystopians. Here there was no worldwide catastrophe, here humanity doesn't have to start from scratch, here there was a bid for power at a vulnerable moment in history, and a country has been shaped at those powers' will.

There are some elements that would remind me of 1984 and even A Brave New World, in the way society has been changed, and in how fear & lies are what keep the populace under control.

ACID is Jenna Strong's story but not only hers. Jenna does honour her last name, she's a very strong and resilient character. I loved having a main character that was a female and kicked arse!

But the best thing about ACID is not just having a strong female character as the main character, the best thing about ACID was how it kept managing to surprise me at every twist of the story! I kept expecting the story to go one way, turned the page and bam! I had been thrown a curve ball and was surprised. Time after time! And that's also the main reason I don't want to discuss plot much during the review, cause I don't want to let anything slip!

This was a great read, and also quite a change of pace since it's a stand alone and it felt great enjoying and wrapping a story in one book.

Very much deserved 4 stars for this one!

3 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you enjoyed this, Pili! I have a copy, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Now I'm really looking forward to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear what you think of this one, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard about this one until you mentioned it. I need to add it to my TBR list. Sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!