Monday, July 15, 2013

Mark This Book Monday: ARC review of The Woken Gods by Gwenda Bond!!

Hi there everyone! How's your Monday going? Hopefully the week started well for you lot.
I have decided to grab my dwindling motivation by the unmentionables and write a few Mark This Book Mondays that are overdue!

So, for today's first Mark This Book Monday, a review of an advance copy of a book coming out this September, and that you all should keep an eye on!


The Woken Gods by Gwenda Bond.




After reading Blackwood by the same author and liking it a lot, finding it very unique a captivating, as soon as I read the summary for it I added it to my TBR list. Gods from all over the world mythology came back to life? Yes please! The myth geek in me was doing cartwheels!

I requested it on NetGalley as soon as I saw it, and started reading it as soon as I got my request approved! I finished it up in that very same day, and like Blackwood before, it's unique and captivating, and a very fast read.

Ten years ago the Gods of old came back to life, all Gods from all ancient myths, Summerians, Greeks, Norse... you name it, they're here. They didn't come in peace and they weren't exactly about to get chummy with humanity, but the Society of the Sun came into the picture, revealing themselves as the ones that could deal with the Gods and keep a semblance of peace.

Kyra's life changed that day even more than the regular human, her father was part of the Society and her mother left them because as far as Kyra knows she couldn't stand the presence of her daughter without going rabid mad.

She's acting up with her father as any other angsty teenager, maybe with a bit more reason than most, but when in the span of less than 24 hours her dad disappears, she is attacked by two Gods, given cryptic advice by another, rescued by the Society and has to face the revelations of some truths and half truths, and her world is completely upended once again. Not only that, she learns that the precarious status quo of humans safe from the Gods can change in the summer solstice.

Kyra is not one to sit iddle, and despite being told to stay away she throws herself into danger trying to save those she love, even if she doesn't even know half of what's going on. And maybe that lack of knowlegde and the fact that she's dealing with Gods, and the Tricksters ones to top it all, might just cost her her life and the fate of humanity.

Kyra could be a bit irritating on occasion but the more the story progresses and the more you learn about what has shaped her outlook and her attitude and I found myself understanding her position better. There's a bit romance, but it is not the force behind the book or what Kyra is doing, and I was extremely happy with that. The biggest force here is standing for those you love, even when you're not even sure they want you to, even when you don't think they'd stand for you. Learning to trust and to stop pushing people away cause you fear they will indeed run away anyways.

The ending has left me pondering, cause it can be an extremely open ending for a stand alone or the perfect ending for book one of a series, and I'm really hoping it'll be the later!

All in all, a four stars stand alone or a four and a half first book of a series, that ending really holds the half star there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!