Monday, July 29, 2013

Mark This Book Monday: The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle!!

For the second (and last) Mark This Book Monday of this week I have a book I had on my TBR list for a long time, but finally got around to read, and it has quite the unique premise, it mixes the Amish and the end of the world as we know it!



The Hallowed OnesThe Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I had this book on my TBR list for a while, cause I read the blurb and thought that was such an unique idea, but for some reason I never got to reading it till I saw the ARC for the second book on NetGalley and I thought I needed to read book 1 STAT!

I'm so very glad I did, The Hallowed Ones is a 4 and a half stars for me, and I'm fairly glad went into it without having too much information about it, aside from the blurb.

Katie is one of the Plain Folk, the Amish, and she is eagerly awaiting the time of her "Rumspringa", when according to Amish tradition, the youth can experience the Outside world and decide if they want to remain there or come back and get baptized and be part of the community fully. Katie is excited about fully experiencing the Outside and even more doing it with Elijah, the boy that she considers her future husband.

But before the time of her Rumspringa arrives, something horrible happens to the Ouside and the Elders of her community decide that the only way to keep them safe is closing up the doors and completely isolating themselves from it. Katie has never been good at the blind obedience thing, and she finds herlself doubting things more and more. After they find an outsider and the Elders decide to leave him to die, she does her first act of rebellion and saves him, hiding him on an old barn.

This book is more postapocalyptic with a dash of horror than dystopian, and it just keeps you glued to the pages! I found myself relating and rooting for Katie, cause she keeps on trying to think for herself and doing what she thinks is right, no matter who she has to go against.

The monsters in this book are plain and simply scary... they're the stuff of nightmares, and the lack of information of what and how it happened makes you are even more defenceless, even though the Plain Folk seem to have an in-built defence in their way of life.

I loved this book, and I'm really glad the sequel is coming out this September, cause I can't wait to read more about Katie's journey!



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Oh I really enjoyed this one too! Not long until the next one comes out :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed this! I gave it the same rating. I agree about Katie - she was such a likeable and realistic character. I can't wait to read the sequel in just over a month. :)

    Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!