Friday, August 23, 2013

Friday Reads: Reboot by Amy Tintera!

For the final entry this week on Friday Reads another dystopian that manages to not be just another dystopian.


Reboot (Reboot #1)Reboot by Amy Tintera

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Reboot was one of those books I had on my TBR list for quite a while before I decided to read it. The premise seemed different enough to be an interesting read, and I love dystopian & postapocalyptic stories, but I was scared that there would be too much romance of the insta-love category and it'd end up dampening my book experience.

I'm glad that I decided to read it anyways, cause even if it didn't blow my mind, the book was very entertaining and I'm surely awaiting the sequel!

The premise for Reboot is that humany has been falling prey to this virus that kills but not permanently, at least in some cases, so after some time the person comes back to life, changed, stronger, self-healing and depending on the time it took them to come back, less human. At first humanity looked at it as boon, no more fear of death! but after seeing how different the Reboots could be after their change, there was a war: Reboor versus humans and the aftermath of said war is the world where the story takes place.

A Reboot does sound a bit like a zombie, since seems like they reanimate and are undead, only way to kill them is blowing their heads off... but Reboots are not exactly zombies, but much more. Adult Reboots are killed upon reanimation, but any under 20 is taken into special facilites to be trained and controlled and turned into efficient fighters and killing machines to do the dirty work of humans, the perfect special forces that don't question orders.

Wren 178 (number refers to the minues you've been dead before reanimating) is the most perfect of those special forces, she had been training and taking missions for a long time, and she's drilled herself to not feel and to just do her job. Along comes Callum, a mere 22 minutes that make him almost human, a new recruit that starts turning things upside down for Wren by not settling into the routines and challenging the status from small to big ways. Add an ugly situation with Ever, Wren's room mate and even when ever did not show it, her only friend and all hell breaks loose.

I was glad that the romance that started between Wren and Callum was not the only motivator for Wren's change, but also her relationship with Ever and what happens to her is what makes Wren realize she won't just take orders anymore.

For some reason I can't pinpoint exactly the later third of the book didn't kept me as engaged as the first half of it, so it lost a little of steam for me... maybe having them running wasn't as compelling as the build up for me, but the end of the book really was something! And will be the reason I will make sure I'm NOT missing out the sequel!

Still unsure if I'll give it 3 or 3 and a half stars, so I'll leave it as 3 and a quarter stars!



View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. Reboot was the same for me, too - interesting premise, but some of the flaws just wasn't enough ultimately for me to fully enjoy the books! I'm glad you found Callum and Wren's romance adorable, though. I did, too, but I felt that things escalated a bit too quickly. :P I'm not sure yet if I will check out the sequel, but I definitely hope it's loads better.

    Lovely review, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan!

      I'll have to check the sequel after that ending, I'm too curious not to!

      Delete
  2. Gah this sounds like it has so much potential but it just fell short. I've had those reads too where you just lose the steam after a while and kind of start getting bored without really knowing exactly why. It does still sound like a good read regardless and I love anything resembling a zombie! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a very different take on zombie-like, but they don't feel as zombies through the book. The ending was so sudden and so intriguing, I just need to read the next, even if my attention wavered a bit in the middle of the book.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this one more than you did though it was not a perfect book by any means. I think the next book will be better. Thanks for the honest review <3

    My Friends Are Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm very interested and curious about the sequel, and I'm hoping it'll be better too!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!