Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday Reads: ARC Review of Katya's War by Jonathan L. Howard!!

For this week's first edition of Friday Reads I'm starting with the second book in a great new addition to YA science fiction, The Russalka Chronicles.


Katya's War (Russalka Chronicles, #2)Katya's War by Jonathan L. Howard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I got the ARC for Katya's War via NetGalley and that reminded me that I already had book 1 (Katya's World) and that I needed to read it, which means I've read both books in quite quick succession.

Since this is the review for book 2 in the Russalka Chronicles series it means it will have inevitably spoilers for book 1, so be warned. I will however try my very best to keep the review as spoiler free as possible for all the twists in this book.

Katya's War starts a few months after the ending of Katya's World, and we see Katya still adjusting to her new position as the hero of Russalka, the captain of the Lukuyan and still trying to recover emotionally to all the hardships she went through. But her emotional turmoil has nothing on the war turmoil that Russalka's going through, the civil war is getting more brutal by the minute.

Katya is trying to do her job and make a life for herself but it seems that she won't be allowed to limit herself to that. When Kane barges again into her life with completely unexpected revelations and an even more unexpected crazy mission for her, she's thrown back into the action with her world completely thrown upside down.

This book has all the things I loved from Katya's World and takes them to the next level. There's more world building, more character development and the plot keeps on thickening! Katya does a lot more growing up in this book, trying to deal with the tough truths that are put before her eyes and struggling to decide what to do about it and how to do it. Katya is not the only character that grows but she's the one that's mainly in the spotlight. Her choices won't just affect her or a band of people, this time her choices can change the course of history of the whole world.

As with book one, there's plenty of action, plenty of moral dilemmas and no romance whatsoever, even if I keep on wondering if we're not getting a few hints here and there about what might be? Still, I don't see romance becoming a driving force in this books at any given point!

The ending... well, I really didn't see it coming at all! And what an ending! It clearly qualifies as a cliffhanger but even though I just can't wait to read the next book, I don't consider it one of those killer cliffhangers (maybe I'm getting used to them now?).

Katya's War is what any second book in a trilogy should be, a fantastic read on itself, one where the action progresses the plot, the stakes keeps on getting higher and we get some unexplained lil tidbits that we hope will make sense in the last book! No middle book syndrome for this one at all! Very well deserved 4.5 stars!


View all my reviews

9 comments:

  1. I think I might actually love a series with no romance. I'm so tired of romances overtaking the plot. And since this has admirable character and world development, I probably should ruch to accept the offered arc. I won't mind reading them back to back like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get it and like it! Do let me know if you like it if you do, Maja!
      The lack of romance here was actually so very welcome!

      Delete
  2. I haven't finished a book in over a year! I really miss reading, there just aren't enough hours in the day! But I can "read" vicariously through you and your posts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't finished a book in over a year! I miss reading, there just aren't enough hours in the day. I can "read" vicariously through you and your posts though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't think this would be a book for me (A) But ohh, so glad you enjoyed it! Glad it was a book sequel. Thank you for sharing your awesome and honest review. <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not heard of this series! I'll have to look up the first book and see if it's something I'd be interested in reading. I stopped reading your review at the spoiler for book 1 warning but am glad to see that you did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll give this series a chance, Kristen! It's a great new sci-fi series and the lack of romance is also a welcome change!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!