Monday, March 17, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: ARC Review of Stolen Songbird by Danielle L Jensen!!

Happy St Patrick's Day! I hope you will be safely celebrating, even if you are not Irish (as I'm not!). I will be celebrating with my friends later this evening, since we're planning to go out and have a pint or two.

For this week's Mark This Book Monday I'm once again having an ARC review of a book that will count for my 2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge. I'm also still doing the happy dance for being auto approved for Strange Chemistry on NetGalley and I wanna say a big thank you once again!




Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Being auto approved by Strange Chemistry on NetGalley is simply a joy. It seems that whatever I decide to download it's always gonna be a fresh and new take on whatever genre that it is. This is exactly what happened with Stolen Songbird.

I wanted to read it cause the cover caught my attention, and as soon as I read that it was a fantasy novel about trolls, I was sold! I don't know about you, but I don't think I've seen any fantasy story about trolls out there, plenty of faeries and other creatures, but trolls?

And once again, the book didn't disappoint! The only adjustment I had to make was the first image my brain conjures up when the word "troll" is mentioned... Trolls are ugly in most accounts but the image that always pops up for me is the ones from the David the Gnome trolls, and those are rather ugly beasts! And the trolls in this story quite different!

The story starts with Cécile when she's returning home from the town when she had given a small performance of her singing. She's gonna be leaving for the city the next morning to start her singing career with her mother, but halfway to her family's farm, she's kidnapped and taken to the stolen city of Trollus, and sold for her weight in gold to the King to be the bride of the prince of Trollus.

Cécile is a spunky character, she keeps on trying to find a way to escape, she still tries to stand her ground although as a human she is considered an inferior, even if she's married to the prince. She has to find allies and even unlikely friends and ends up forming a truce with the prince, even if at first she isn't really sure what's going on with him. And Cécile discovers that she's so much more than she even knew and she has a power that can help and change things.

Tristan is the very mysterious and confusing prince and heir of Trollus. He was supposed to marry a human to break a curse and free his city, but seems like his plans are quite different. He keeps a very studied façade and is dealing with much more in politics and power struggles than what Cécile knows at first. His attitude towards Cécile is quite awful at first, but little by little they form an alliance that ends up turning into something other.

The plot is quite interesting, full of politics, rebellion, social inequality, magic, trolls, witches and even some hints at the unknown mysterious origin of the trolls and their true nature. Maybe the humans gave them that name, but what are they really?

The development of the romance was full of false starts and deception, and many doubts and misunderstanding between Cécile and Tristan but it ended up progressing nicely from a precarious truce to an unspoken attraction with many doubts to a starcrossed lovers situation.

The ending is sort of a cliffhanger, and it's also quite evil cause they way it leaves the reader waiting to see how things can get fixed and how can Cécile keep her promise... it's gonna be a long wait till the next book for sure! Very well deserved 4 stars!



View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like the world building in this one is really great. It's not one that I would pick up because fantasy isn't my genre but I love to see that it was a great surprise for you. Trolls are always ugly little beasts in my head too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it took me a while to change my mental image every time I read the word "troll".
      Thanks for visiting the blog!

      Delete
  2. I struggled a bit with trolls for the same reason. I kept imagining that troll from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. But I quickly got over it, and I really enjoyed the book a lot.
    Excellent review, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Maja! Yeah, I know it was hard at first to not picture the trolls I had in mind at first!

      Delete
  3. Trollssssss! I don't think I've read a troll-based book before - but I love the idea! It seems unique and fresh. I've seen this book around but I never bothered to request it because I wasn't completely interested in it. I think I'll definitely keep an eye out for it this summer (when I can actually go to the library!). Fantastic review, Pili! So glad you liked this one so much :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa!
      I requested this book because 1) Trolls! Never read a book with trolls in it (except for those in The Hobbit) and 2) Strage Chemistry! I haven't read a book they've published I haven't liked! And this one didn't disappoint at all, luckily!

      Delete
  4. Yay :D I'm glad you enjoyed this book. <3 And that you liked the plot. And the romance. Sounds awesome, sigh. <3 But ahh. Cliffhanger? Gah. Cliffhangers are evil, lol :) But anyway. Amazing review sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, cliffhangers suck!
      Thank you, Carina!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!