Monday, August 31, 2015

Mark This Book Monday: A Curious Tale of the In-Between and The Copper Gauntlet!!

Hello there guys!

Welcome to what I've decided to call the Middle Grade edition of this week's Mark This Book Monday!

Today I have two of my BEA ARCs that I read for ARC August up for review and for are MG books, so both count towards my MG reads category on the 105 Challenge!






A Curious Tale of the In-Between (Pram, #1)A Curious Tale of the In-Between by Lauren DeStefano

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm not the biggest middle grade reader ever, but I do enjoy some MG books now and then. After reading my BEA ARC of A Curious Tale of the In-Between I know I'll read any and all MG that Lauren DeStefano will write!

Pram is a lil girl that lives with her aunts at the home for the elderly that they run. She's always been special as she can see ghosts, but her aunts think that she's just peculiar and has imaginary friends, which is easier than to think she sees ghosts.

Once I started reading the book I wasn't sure what to expect because I had not re-read the summary since I added the book to my TBR GR list and my BEA list.

But I really enjoyed reading about Pram and how despite being peculiar and not wanting to be someone that she isn't she makes a friend when she goes to school, but she also tries to keep her friendship with ghostly Felix. Clarence and Pram help each other with their own issues that they feel adults can't or won't help.

I was quite intrigued when I saw where the book went with the ghosts storyline and how it was great in terms of world building but also character development, not just for Pram. Villains are not just black and white, even if their actions are despicable enough.

I really don't want to say much about that part, because it is heartbreaking and kept me quite on my toes and turning the pages fast, it's my fave part of the book and I think I enjoyed it as much as I did because I had no idea what to expect from it!

The ending of the book had enough closure to make it a story unto itself but it also left enough open for more of Pram and Clarence and Felix adventures and I cannot wait to read the sequel, which I hope it'll be equally as creepy, disquieting, heartwarming and endearing as this one! Well deserved 4 stars for this one!




The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, #2)The Copper Gauntlet by Holly Black

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I enjoyed reading the first Magisterium book last year, so when I had the chance to grab an ARC of The Copper Gauntlet at BEA this year I didn't hesitate!

As in The Iron Trial we find ourselves with characters and situations that might remind us of other stories at first sight, three friends, a magic school, a connection between the bad guy and one of our heroes... does it ring a bell? Well, this book did it again, and took things in the most unexpected and unfamiliar direction you could expect.

Callum finds himself in an even worse situation than he did in the first book, because he has a big secret to keep about himself, one that makes hum doubt his every choice, and not only that but he suspects his dad is no longer on his corner.

Aaron and Tamara continue to be his friends and partners in crime (and escaping from home and the Magisterium and fighting unexpected Elementals... you know, the usual!) but they find themselves facing a few issues about trust and priorities that end up with Cal and Tamara butting heads.

I was quite surprised about the final showdown and how it was resolved, but also glad for how the auhors once again went for the less expected course of action. I might have not connected with this book as much as I would have liked, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless and will be looking forward to the sequel. 3 to 3.5 stars.



View all my reviews

11 comments:

  1. I'm not a big MG reader either Pili, but I do love the sound of Lauren DeStefano's book! I really enjoyed her Chemical Garden YA series, so I think I'll be a fan of her MG novel as well. Though of course the word "heartbreaking" in your review makes me a little nervous ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heartbreaking because as an adult you feel even worse for Pram that she does herself... but rest assured, things won't be as bad as they might seem, Jenny!

      Delete
  2. August is over already! Geesh... it seemed to me like July went on forever and then boom, August was gone in a flash. I do so want to read A Curious Tale soon because I have loved all of Lauren's books, but you know I am a penny pincher and I will probably look for it at the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time really has been going on slow and too fast spurs as of late! It's already September!

      Delete
  3. I typically don't read MG but everyone seems to be head over heels in love with A Curious Tale. I'll have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great MG book that can be enjoyed by adults alike!

      Delete
  4. Oooh I had no idea about the Lauren DeStefano book but the ghostly storyline sounds great, especially with the blurred lines between the villains and everything.

    I'm seeing Cass Clare & Holly Black tomorrow and looking forward to meeting them and picking up The Copper Gauntlet! Lovely reviews Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I hope you'll have a blast at the event, Jeann!

      Delete
  5. Yay :D Gorgeous reviews Pili. <3 These two books I am dying to read. Sigh. Just. The first one.. I have waited FOREVER for it :D Just hope I will love it. But I know I will :) So glad you liked it so much. Yay! But aw, I'm sorry you had some issues with The Copper Gauntlet :\ But glad you still liked it :) I'm excited for it. Just.. need to re-read book one, lol. Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will love them both very much sweetie!! Cannot wait to hear what you think of them!

      Delete
  6. Two MG novels! It looks like you enjoyed book, which is good! To be honest, I'm not a fan of any of these authors (actually, I have nothing against Holly Black!), and I'm not an MG person anymore, so I doubt I'll be reading these. I do love the cover of The Copper Gauntlet. ;)

    I might need more Pili-Pushed books, after The Bollywood Bride! I think I have a few more potential ones, but I like to have a range/list, in case I'm not in the mood or don't have access to a copy! So... if you've got like 5-10 more, let me know! :D

    Have a lovely weekend, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!